Disclaimers: 1. this post mentions my shop. 2. I’m sure we offer a great deal!
If you are looking preparing for a wedding and you want to keep it real (i.e. don’t want to copy celebrities in their race for overspending) then consider buying Silver Wedding Rings instead of gold. Here’s why:
* you want your rign to carry the emotional value not a metal value. The emotions are the same with any symbol and the hard cash saved makes a lot of difference.
* Good quality sterling silver bands start at about £35, so you can get a pair for £70. Poor quality gold rings (9ct, made in China) will cost you at least £199, so rounhly £400 per pair. If you want a good quality gold bands it then you’re looking at at least £360 per piece bringing the total to £700 – ten times the price of silver ones!
* adding a small diamond to you silver ring will make it more unique and personal. Silver with diamond ring will cost you about £85 – example is here here.
* taking the jewellery on holidays is safe. We have a lot of customers buying “replacement rings” when they travel, because they are scared to take something too expensive. Do you really want to spend time worrying about a wedding ring?
And now a plug why it’s good to buy from Harry Fay:
* we will help you make sure your ring fits nicely. We offer free ring sizers and free exchange if the ring doesn’t fit.
* we can engrave your message inside your ring – for additional £10 we will write your message.
* we know what we do – our family is making and selling jewellery since 1991.
I’ve been playing with Google AIY on raspberry pi for nearly an hour now and I love it. If you are lucky you can get your kit from issue 57 of The MagPi Magazine.
Google provided a python based example app that recognises the command you spoke to the box and runs your action. The problem with it is that the command needs to match literally without and option to add variable part (a parameter). In real world I want to give parameters to the commands, for example “Add note my note“. So I’ve hacked the app to do just that. Here are the steps:
1. Modify the actionbase.py to recognize patterns. In class class KeywordHandler(object): change the handle method:
"""Perform the action when the given keyword is in the command."""
def __init__(self, keyword, action):
self.keyword = keyword.lower()
self.action = action
def handle(self, command):
if("*" in self.keyword):
match = re.match(self.keyword.lower(), command.lower())
if self.keyword in command.lower():
2. Make sure the action you are running understands that the param given to it is the variable part. I’ve modified the SpeakAction to do just that:
"""Says the given text via TTS."""
def __init__(self, say, words):
self.say = say
self.words = words
def run(self, voice_command):
Since a truck hauling 20 tons of freight needs a lot of energy to move, it has to stop fairly frequently to charge; the T-pod can make it 124 miles before it has to plug in again. For other electric semis, charging time is a bigger deterrent, because it’s also wasting a driver’s time.
“If you have to stand still maybe one-third of the time to actually charge, that makes the business case for having a truck driver in a battery-powered truck not that good,” says Robert Falck, CEO of Einride, the Sweden-based startup making the T-pod. “But if you remove them and create a system where the truck driver drives it remotely and controls a fleet, you overcome that problem.”
For last two months I’ve been using Virgin Media Hub 3.0 and I haven’t found a single think to like about it. Part of it is that Virgin Media internet isn’t as good as promised – 200Mbps link gives this speed only during benchmarks to VM servers. Real world speeds usually hover around 20Mbps with up to 50-60Mbps when using multiple sources – for tasks like downloading CentOS images (I’ve testes many, many mirrors).
The things I do not like about the VM hub are:
DHCP cache is reset every restart, so my systems get different IPs from time to time (BT Hub remembered all system correctly)
UPnP doesn’t work. It is enabled, but I haven’t found any application that was able to set up port forwarding correctly
Using the admin panel is pain in the back – (login screen the admin panel takes 13 seconds to load, main screen takes about 22 seconds to display!) – see screenshots.
WiFi range seems to be less than average. I get the best coverage upstairs when the router is laying on a side.
I’m going to set the VM router into modem only mode and I’ll use BT Hub as my router instead.